Retrieval Practice CPD
Retrieval Practice CPD workshops are available for inset days/in school CPD.
RETRIEVAL PRACTICE CPD WORKSHOP OVERVIEW
Nearly every educators knows about it now. The next step? Working out how we can best apply it to our practice.
Retrieval practice has consistently been proven to be the most effective revision strategy such that getting students to recall previously learnt information leads to stronger memory traces being created, hence making it more likely that the information is transferred to the long-term memory.
This CPD workshop explores the very latest research and translates it into effective classroom strategies and techniques.
WHAT TO EXPECT ON THE DAY
- An overview of the most recent and helpful research on retrieval practice
- Tips to create the right classroom environment for effective retrieval practice
- Practical strategies to use retrieval practice with your students
- Advice to get all students to engage with retrieval practice
THE KEY MESSAGES
Creating a low-stakes environment
- The importance of retrieval being stress-free
- Accelerating learning vs Assessing learning
- Should you give hints?
- How to avoid the illusion of learning
- The “Retrieval Effort Hypothesis”
- Does unsuccessful retrieval help?
Getting a response to retrieval questions from all students
- Cold calling
- Wait times
- How many answers to give
- How hard to make multiple-choice questionnaires
- Should you use “All of the above” and “None of the above” answers?
Check out what educators have been saying
In-person and online
We can deliver our workshops in person if it is possible and safe to do so. However, all of our teacher CPD workshops are also available for live online delivery via your video platform of choice.